Monday, January 13, 2014

Floors...are they ever finished...

I like dreaming of a beautiful home, but in reality the execution is hard and getting things finished takes forever, especially when I don't exactly know what I am doing. While my parents were visiting we started on the flooring project. Most of is done by now. I still have to do two transition pieces: from family room to garage and from hallway to Matthew's room. Few pieces of the quarter round broke when we were ripping it out to get the laminate installed. Last week I went to Menards to buy some more and found out that they don't carry the same size anymore as the original 60s quarter rounds. With a new obstacle the completion gets delayed. With my personality I like to take my time though, and like the process of researching for a best solution. Which involves looking stuff for hours on pinterest... I have several other projects in mind for the future, but I am trying to constrain myself to start anything new until I have the flooring completely done with all the details. Here is some of the progress.

 Floor in the kitchen


 This is our old carpeted kitchen floor...sorry about the mess....


Entry way...
 I made this metal (looks wood) transition between the kitchen and basement...sawing metal was fun, new experience.

I painted the baseboards and quarter trim white..sounds easy right, sanding, priming two coats and putting in two top coats. I probably didn't need all those extra layers, but just in case...

I love how the new floor is so much easier to clean :)

 Some of these pictures are so my dad can see what I did...this is transition I made from hallway to bathroom.


 
This is transition I made between entryway and living room. I got a long piece of wood, mixed different stains to get the right color and sealed it :)

I'll get pictures of the rooms after I clean ;) and after I paint some paneling in my family room. My kitchen cabinets still clash with the floor, but that is an other big project I don't want to start yet.

With all this agonizing about getting the floor finished I have to tell you how grateful andI blessed I am to have such an awesome dad! He is so talented and patient, maybe one day I can be more like him if I really, really try and don't give up :)

3 comments:

Cam said...

They look beautiful! Your hard work is paying off.
I'm glad you started blogging again.
Good luck with all of your projects!

Reina said...

Näyttää hyvältä. Eli tarkoittaako tämä nyt sitä että saadaan lukea tulevaisuudessa enemmänkin sinun blogiasi. Olisi kiva.

Unknown said...

I noticed this too on floor projects: the transitions are the toughest. You'd have to consider two floors together, and figure out a solution that'll give justice to both floors. You did well, and the fact that you had your dad helping you meant more family time!
Paul Klassen @ PinacleRenovations.ca